« Home | The "other" side of Africa » | News from the far side... » | Random thought while the server was down » | Wasting away » | What is that running down the leg of your trouser? » | Toilet humour?? » | Eternal madness of the spotless mind » | Wednesday's not-so-big Five » | Atchoo... I think I am coming down with a growth s... » | Pope Idol and the art of chimney spotting » 

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 

Buy me!

Four days(!) away from work and I feel like a lotto winner... Whoo-hoo! What a sloth am I?! Neither the pile of work related e-mails in my inbox nor the stack of paperwork on my desk can put a dent in my enthusiasm. I am back and I am quite content to sit on my pile of dung, thank you very much... hehehe. The tumor that started to develop in my humour over the past few of weeks has been exorcised. I am walking around with the smile of a guy who just had three-way sex with the Hilton sisters. My gf says I am an impulse buyer. I don’t know if she is right… well actually, I do not want her to be right, but I have to admit that when I see something I like, I will most likely buy it. I tend to make my decisions to buy in a complete bloody vacuum… and I know ppl who reckon that that is an apt description of who I am. Of course the impulse buying also means that I will never become filthy rich and that I have a lot of stuff I do not really need, despite how cool they are. I would prolly be better off putting my money to work for me than spending it callously. I have yet to make a "hugely disastrous" financial decision (touch wood!), but if I keep on doing what I’m doing, it is going to happen sooner or later. I am happy with my current independent-and-not-yet-broke status and I have made provision for when I grow old and feeble and can no longer control the bodily functions. Yeah… ok… lets erase that image from my long-term memory. My weakness… GADGETS, electronic and otherwise… which explains why I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the world we live in. I cannot stop myself… I see a cool new friggin little gadgetry thingy and I think to myself... ”hey, I've gots to get me one a'those babies.” And then I buy it. I am like an animal being lead around by my goddamn nose. And I know I am not alone in this… there are many guys like me out there. Gadget freaks! Agonising over a purchase for too long takes the fun out of buying... a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. My thoughts would paralyse me, make me feel guilty and that would basically make me a very unhappy chappie. When one begrudges a purchase, it is best to let it go. Even if are able you can get past the initial guilt… chances are you won't get any joy from using it. So I have learnt to ignore the little voice of reason in my head, to grab it by the throat and strangle the very life out of it… which is quite a feat as I normally think waaayyy too much. I reckon if I should ever get the urge to take it one step further and with the current gf... the days of ignorant financial bliss will be over… which may or may not be a good thing. Point is… I could become one unhappy critter and that definitely puts a tick in the negative column next to the gf’s name. Or maybe I suffer from commitment phobia and I am using this as a lame excuse? Don’t much care about it for now though… I'm just happy to be happy.

|

Next
Random
List
Join
Blog Directory & Search engine
Locations of visitors to this page